|Jacuzzi in the Home of William F. Buckley, Jr., ceramic, approximately 8’ x 7’|
|ROBERT GOODNOUGH (b. 1917), New York, NY|
| Museums nationwide feature two and three-dimensional works of art by Goodnough in their permanent collections including his wood construction, DINOSAUR at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. Other institutions are: Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, The Museum of Modern Art and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, all New York; Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford, Connecticut; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Baltimore Museum of Art, Maryland and Wichita Art Museum and Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection, Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita State University, both Kansas.
A painter, collage artist and sculptor, New York native Robert Goodnough is often described by art historians as a member of the “second generation of abstract expressionists.” The international center for the movement, active in the 1940s and 1950s, was in New York City and artists such as Goodnough, played a pivotal role in changing the course of art history in that Europe could no longer be considered the only mecca for modern art.
During the 1950s Goodnough produced works that combined cubist and abstract expressionist elements. In 1954 the artist developed a series of sculptured constructions, principally dinosaurs, human figures and birds. His range of work produced for public, corporate and private commissions extended beyond easel painting and into large murals, steel and stone murals, tapestries, graphics and a swimming pool designed for the home of internationally recognized author and journalist, William F. Buckley, Jr.
An art critic for the magazine, Art News, 1950-1957, Goodnough served as instructor of painting at Fieldston School, Riverdale, 1953, Cornell University, Ithaca, summer 1960, New York University, New York City, all New York, and Skowhegan Art School, Maine, 1969.
He received the BFA degree from Syracuse University, New York, 1940, and the MA degree from New York University, 1950. Additional study was completed at the New School for Social Research, 1949, New York City, and at the Hans Hofmann School of Fine Arts, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1947.
|Exhibition version of this page 10.5" x 15.75" 1.08MB|
|10/18/2005 Design by Jason Hayden and Gary A. Adams|