|Crazy Horse II, 1982, 47” x 32” x 17 1/2”
Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, PA
|ISAAC WITKIN (b. 1936), Pemberton, New Jersey|
| Witkin has earned a place in 20th century art history as an inventive artist, challenging the definitions of modern sculpture through exploration of both material and technique.
Public collections featuring his work include Israel Museum, Jerusalem; Dallas Art Museum, Texas; Fine Art Museum, University of Sydney, Australia; Wichita Art Museum, Kansas; University of Illinois, Normal; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, California; Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and National Museum of American Art, both Washington, DC; Tate Gallery, London, England; Laumeier Sculpture Park and Museum, St. Louis, Missouri and Columbus Museum of Fine Art, Ohio.
A native of Johannesburg, South Africa, the artist attended St. Martins School of Art, London, England, 1957-1960 and while in England was an assistant to sculptor Henri Moore (1898-1986), 1961-1963. Witkin moved to America in 1965 and initiating his career in this country was his participation in an exhibition devoted to minimalism at the Jewish Museum, New York, 1966. The artist became a U. S. citizen in 1975 and has lived in New Jersey since the early 1980s.
The sculptor’s painted fiberglass sculpture of the 1960s evolved into bold forms in steel. During the 1970s, his welded forms were replaced by organic designs created by pouring molten bronze directly into beds of sand as well as with other casting techniques. In 1994, the artist began his pursuit of carving large, expressive masses in stone.
Witkin was an instructor of sculpture, St. Martins School of Art, London, 1963-1965, and from 1965 to 1979, was artist-in-residence at Bennington College, located in a Vermont artist community. He also taught at Parsons School of Design, New York, 1975-1978; Philadelphia College of Art, Pennsylvania, 1990-1992 and served as visiting professor at several other colleges along the east coast.
|Exhibition version of this page 10.5" x 15.75" 865KB|
|10/18/2005 Design by Jason Hayden and Gary A. Adams|